Happy Monday! Mondays are a really tough day…..the weekend is over, you haven’t gotten enough sleep, you have to wake up early, make coffee, and sometimes ask yourself why you’re putting yourself through this
and you consider quitting your job. So I’m here to (hopefully) cheer you up and give you something to look forward to at the end of the week: making cocktails! After a bit of trial and error in the kitchen I finally came up with Mint Lemonade Cocktail with Greek Yogurt Fizz. Right now I know you’re probably thinking to yourself “Yogurt in a cocktail??!!” but I promise you it’s really good! I’m actually hoping that this combo is surprising to some of you because that’s exactly the reaction I’m going for. I’m participating in the #MadeWithChobani project to increase awareness about the versatility of yogurt.
Greek yogurt has become really popular in the past few years, but I think many people are still only consuming it in “traditional” ways: eating it out of the container, putting it into a bowl and adding toppings, using it in a smoothie… But I’m here to show you that yogurt is so much more than that!!! Did you know you can use Greek yogurt to make classic dishes such as holiday stuffing, mashed potatoes, key lime pie, and even fried chicken? Or in new and exciting recipes like edamame hummus or cheesy peach jalapeño hush puppies? And as of today, I am decreeing that Greek yogurt can also be used in cocktails!
I’m actually really excited about this project because so many studies have come out proving the many health benefits of Greek yogurt and I’d like to raise awareness and share those benefits with YOU! Greek yogurt is packed with protein, probiotics, vitamins, potassium, and calcium, not to mention that it’s a great workout recovery snack, and it can help keep your weight in check and maybe even slim you down. By substituting traditional ingredients such as sour cream, mayonnaise, heavy cream, and oil with Greek yogurt you can be making healthier dishes for yourself and your family with no extra effort.
Sure, a cocktail probably isn’t super good for you, but the lemon, mint, honey, and Greek yogurt in this cocktail ARE actually good for your health. Exciting, right? And if you’re still unsure about adding yogurt to a cocktail, I can tell you that it makes for a cool and creamy froth that makes a cocktail go down very smooth. I’ve also tried it out on several combinations of cocktails, and presentational mishaps aside, they all tasted really good!
- 2 shots quality vodka
- 1 shot lemon juice
- 1 shot orange juice
- Handful of fresh mint, chopped
- 7 tsp honey-syrup*
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp Greek yogurt
- Cocktail shaker
- Make your honey syrup
- Chop the mint leaves
- Place a little mint at the bottom of each glass and put the rest into the cocktail shaker
- Add ice to the glasses and to the shaker
- In the shaker combine the vodka, lemon juice, orange juice and 6 tbsp honey syrup
- Close the shaker and shake for 30 seconds
- Let it sit for a few minutes to let the flavor of the mint come out
- Shake again for a few seconds and strain into the glasses, leaving room for the froth at the top
- Leave the mint inside the shaker and add a few more ice cubes
- Pour in the egg whites, 1 tsp honey syrup, and Greek yogurt
- Shake vigorously for 1 minute until the mixture is very frothy. You may need to shake it several times
- Gently spoon the froth onto the top of the cocktails and serve immediately