Hello readers – parents, aunts, uncles, and kids everywhere! – do you see these amazing Greek yogurt chocolate cupcakes with Greek yogurt cream cheese frosting? I know…. I also think they’re beautiful and festive. Today I’m writing about a really fun topic: birthday parties! And about how to delight kids (and adults alike) with this healthier –even more delicious – alternative to traditional birthday treats.
I’ve had several birthdays to celebrate and bake for this month, which got me thinking about how unhealthy birthday desserts tend to be. I’ve never let this stop me from enjoying these sweet treats, unfortunately, so instead I decided to come up with a better, Greek-inspired cake and cupcake recipe.
These moist and decadent cupcakes are made with less butter, sugar, and flour and no milk. Instead, they get their richness from canola oil, which actually has many nutrients, and Greek yogurt, which is packed with protein. Amazing! So if you’ve got a birthday party coming up, I highly recommend baking these. They taste just fantastic – the kids will ever know they’re healthier!
Another issue I’ve been dealing with celebrating birthdays this month is last-minute organizing and/or trying to surprise the birthday girl or boy. There always seems to be so much to do! But I have some exciting news: for those of you in Switzerland, until this Saturday (October 31) you can sign up to win a surprise birthday party for your child – worth 5,000 CHF and sponsored by Citroën – in whatever theme your little one would like! You’ll find more infohere.
I still remember my 8th birthday party with great fondness. I had giant tiered cake with a Barbie on top. It was a girl’s dream. Thanks, Mom! She also rented out a pool house and invited all of my friends, and we spent all day swimming and eating Barbie cake. It was simply perfect. So take it from me, a former (actually… still current) kid: your child will never forget his or hersuperhero, princess, magic, neon, or astronaut birthday party. So plan ithere now!
Have a beautiful day everyone, and make cupcakes!
- For the cupcakes:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup hot chocolate mix (I used Neuhaus brand – this is optional, but I think it adds to the flavor)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup / 225 grams butter, melted
- 1 cup / 280 grams full-fat Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon almond extract (THIS is what provides a unique awesome flavor)
- 1 cup hot water
- Cupcake tray (or cake mold)
- Paper cupcake liners
- For the frosting:
- 1 cup / 280 grams full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup / 200 grams full-fat cream cheese
- 1 – 2 cups powdered sugar
- Piping bag (optional)
- Blue or other colored food coloring or gel (optional)
- For the cupcakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350 F / 180 C
- Line a cupcake tray with paper cupcake liners or grease a cake mold
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, hot chocolate mix, baking soda and baking powder
- In another bowl mix together the butter, Greek yogurt, canola oil, eggs, egg yolks, and almond extract
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring as you do this to incorporate everything
- Once it is mixed, add the hot water and mix until smooth
- Pour the batter into the cupcake tray or cake mold
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until firm
- For the frosting:
- In the meantime, mix together the Greek yogurt and cream cheese
- Add powdered sugar until you get the desired consistency and sweetness
- And food coloring/gel (optional)
- Place the frosting into a piping bag (optional)
- Once the cupcakes are cool, decorate with the frosting in the piping bag
- Or spread the frosting on the cupcakes with a knife if you do not have a piping bag
- Decorate as you wish
Disclaimer: I partnered with the brand to write this article but every word is mine. I am so happy to share this great recipe with my readers and I hope one of you is lucky enough to win a birthday party!