Fifteen migrants (11 men and 4 women) of African origin found wandering in Mytilini on Thursday were part of a migrant boat that sank off Lesvos earlier in the day, said the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR-Greece).
The migrant boat sank near Petalidi. Of the 43 passengers so far known, the toll of the dead rose to 18 following the recovery of two more bodies midday on Thursday. The bodies recovered so far belong to 16 women, a 15-year-old boy, and an adult male.
The 25 people (14 men, 11 women) rescued in total at Lesvos include a woman found alive later in the day and were transferred to Mytilene hospital.
Alternate Health Minister Mina Gaga visited the rescued individuals at the hospital and in statements later expressed her sorrow for the victims and said survivors are well and are receiving the necessary healthcare, while rescued women were asking about the fate of their siblings.