CHICAGO, IL — Hellenic American Academy, one of the largest Greek-American educational institutions in the country will host their annual Gala on Saturday, February 29, 2020, to kick off their 2020 fundraising initiative: LEAP. The gala begins at 6 P.M at the Hyatt Regency O’hare (9300 Bryn Mawr Avenue, Rosemont, IL 60018).
This year’s theme, LEAP (Lead.Educate.Achieve.Prosper) highlights the Academy’s efforts to build on past accomplishments and LEAP towards our journey to greatness. The Academy sets its sights on continuing to redefine Greek American education for the modern era and as history has shown, the passion, strength and dedication from the community is what makes the Academy successful.
Below are just a few of many accomplishments the Academy achieved in 2019:
- HAA is formally accredited as the Examination Center for the Certificate of Attainment in Greek (Ellinomatheia Certificate,) in the Midwest Region, by the Greek Ministry of Education and the Center for the Greek Language
- 100% success rate in the Ellinomatheia Exams in the Day, Evening, and Saturday Greek language programs
- 3 Regional gold medalists – Illinois Junior Academy of Science
- 1 gold and 2 silver State medalists – Illinois Junior Academy of Science
The Gala will also honor Hellene American leaders who have been instrumental in preserving the Hellenic faith and heritage with their time, talent and treasure.
- Heritage Award – Recipient Harold V. Anagnos always had the drive and will to accomplish his life goals and plans. A successful leader in the challenging field of electronics as both a corporate executive and a business unit founder and owner. Associates, employees and co-workers will testify to his dedication, fairness and commitment to the challenges and goals at hand. The same can be true with his support for our church organizations and our Hellenic heritage.
- Service Award – Recipients Mary and Angelo Spyratos are both avid supporters of the Academy for the past 15 years, supporting in various capacities including previous Gala Committee chairs. Angelo currently serves on the Academy Executive Committee and is President of the Greek Language Program School Board. In their personal and professional lives they have leaped towards success by embodying Greek Orthodox values in all aspects of their life and ensuring next generations have the opportunity to do the same.
“The Hellenic American Academy is a strong school community that celebrates student growth through the pursuit of excellence and lifelong learning” shares Christina Bennett, Principal of Socrates Day School. “Our school is committed to providing an academic environment that is rich and exciting in an atmosphere that provides support, encouragement and care for every student. We value our Greek heritage and culture, and it is a joy and an honor to partner with the Greek American community in support of our mission”.
The Academy’s mission is to be the preeminent educational and cultural center for Hellenism in the United States recognized for academic excellence, a strong sense of community, and the promotion of Greek heritage and faith.
Call 847. 317.1063 To Buy Tickets Today or visit: https://e.givesmart.com/events/gbr/
Like Us on Facebook
About Hellenic American Academy
Hellenic American Academy is home to Socrates Day School, a private dual-language K-8 organization. The school also offers Preschool, Greek language programs on Saturdays and Evenings and cultural & athletic programs for over 400 students across all programs.
HAA provides Chicago students with a competitive advantage as they begin their academic careers. HAA was recognized by the University of Crete as a model of outstanding Greek Orthodox education. Students routinely score in the 90th percentile in national standardized testing and 100% success rate in Certificate of Attainment in Greek Language (Ellinomatheia).
Main photo caption: Chairman of the HAA Executive Board Jim Logothetis, Marianthe Logothetis, Margo Behrakis, George Behrakis. Elios Photography ©2018