Friday, April 12, 2024

      Subscribe Now!

 

spot_img
spot_img
Food and TravelMemories of Greece: An Afternoon in Makrinitsa

Memories of Greece: An Afternoon in Makrinitsa

Hellenic News of America
Hellenic News of Americahttps://www.hellenicnews.com
The copyrights for these articles are owned by HNA. They may not be redistributed without the permission of the owner. The opinions expressed by our authors do not necessarily reflect the opinions of HNA and its representatives.

Latest articles

By Catherine Tsounis

Believe it or not, wealthy Greek families lived in mountain villages and not the major cities during the Ottoman Empire and the early years of the Greek nation. We saw an amazing “Noble Village in central Greece. In an afternoon, Kostoula of Kapogiannis Travel stopped by the “Noble Village” of Makrinitsa, Pelion in Thessaly in a previous excursion, for an economical price.

Makrinitsa has mansions without balconies. This was for protection from the corsairs (pirates off the coast of Volos) who would try to plunder. Some homes had military defenses. Cars are not allowed in the town. Everyone walks on stone roads. The ancient plane trees in the main square of “Plateia Eirinis,” Peace Square, are remarkable. Makrinitsa is like the “Switzerland of Greece.”

Makrinitsa main square. Photo by Catherine Tsounis

. During the 17th and 18th century, Pelion was the richest and most densely populated area in Greece. During Ottoman rule of the country (1453 – 1830), many scholars, teachers, priests, merchants, artists, and artisans took refuge on the mountain. Villages, Libraries, churches, and monasteries added to the general wealth of the area.

A stone fountain with lions gives crystal waters from Mount Pelion. It is the home of the mythical Centaurs, half man, and half horse. A coffee shop has a painting by the Greek folk artist Theofilos. The Byzantine Museum has an exhibit and exceptional Byzantine art works. The famous Greek folk painter Theofilos has a painting in a local coffee house with exhibits in the world class Byzantine Museum.

Thanks for reading Hellenic News of America
Old Plane tree in main square. Photo by Catherine Tsounis
Fountain of Lions. Photo by Catherine Tsounis

The Church of Sr. John the Prodromos is open for all to visit. On its Feast Day, religious services are held. The church was built in 1806. Many icons are from the 18th and 19th centuries. Renovations were performed in 1955 after earthquakes. A beautiful afternoon in a “Noble” village.

St. John Prodromos Church interior. Photo by Catherine Tsounis

The copyrights for these articles are owned by the Hellenic News of America. They may not be redistributed without the permission of the owner. The opinions expressed by our authors do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Hellenic News of America and its representatives.

Get Access Now!

spot_img
spot_img
spot_img